Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Of a mind to write

"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion

"One had the right to write because other people needed news of the inner world, and if they went too long without such news they would go mad with the chaos of their lives." -- Arthur Miller

“Writing and learning and thinking are the same process.” -- William Zinsser


"The pen is the tongue of the mind." -- Miguel de Cervantes

"Writing has nothing to do with communication between person and person, only with communication between different parts of a person's mind." -- Rebecca West

"It is not a bad idea to get in the habit of writing down one's thoughts. It saves one having to bother anyone else with them." -- Isabel Colegate

"How do I know what I think until I see what I say?" -- E. M. Forster

"The only time I know that something is true is the moment I discover it in the act of writing." -- Jean Malaquais

No comments: