Thursday, July 22, 2010

How to not sound dumb

Jean Rupp, author of Grammar Gremlins: An Instant Guide to Perfect Grammar for Everybody in Business, lists some common grammatical mistakes:


David Doberman and me will meet at 8:00 a.m. Thursday.
Confusing I and me is a sure way to demonstrate your lack of grammatical skills. Use I when you do something ( I do the job); use me when something is done to or for you ( The job was done for me). Correct: David Doberman and I will meet at 8:00 a.m. Thursday.

If you have any questions, please call John, David, or myself. Never, never use  myself as a substitute for me. Use  myself reflexively (I thought of it  myself), or use it if you do something to yourself (I cut  myself). Correct: If you have any questions, please call John, David, or me.

I like the suggestion which Jack submitted.
That introduces a restrictive (defining) clause or phrase -- it is essential to the meaning of the sentence. Which introduces a non-restrictive (non- defining) clause or phrase. It is non-essential information. (Example:  I like Jack's suggestion, which everyone already knows). Generally, you will use commas with which. Correct: I like the suggestion that Jack submitted.

Who did you select to conduct the seminar?
Who or Whom? Follow these simple guidelines. Use  who when  he, she, they, I, or  we could replace the who. They are all nominative case. Use whom when  him, her, them, me, or  us could replace the  whom. They are all objective case. Still confused? An easy way to ensure (or is it  assure or maybe  insure?) that you are using the right form is to rearrange the sentence like this:
     Whom did you select to conduct the seminar? (objective case) I selected  him to conduct the seminar. (objective case)
Correct: Whom did you select to conduct the seminar?
I feel badly about not getting the speaking engagement.
Use  bad (the adjective) after feel or after verbs dealing with the senses — taste, touch, sight, sound, smell. (Example: Yuk! This food smells bad and tastes bad.) Use  badly (the adverb) with action verbs. Therefore, if you are wearing gloves, you will hinder your sense of touch and you will  feel badly. Look at it this way. If my dog, Fred, smells  bad, I need to give him a bath. If my dog, Fred, smells  badly, he has a defective nose.  Correct: I feel bad about not getting the speaking engagement.

Marv Ellis is the more competent of the five speakers we interviewed.

Use the comparative form  more when referring to two persons, places or things. Use the superlative form  most when referring to three or more. Correct: Marv Ellis is the more competent of the five speakers we interviewed.
   
The new series of management classes look interesting.
The verb  look must agree in number with the subject, which is  series. More often than not, writers mistake  classes for the subject. Classes is a part of a prepositional phrase;  series is the simple subject—a singular, collective noun that requires a singular verb. Don't let modifying words that come between the subject and the predicate confuse you. Correct: The new series of management classes looks interesting.

Sometimes a person gives up on an exercise program because they don't have time for it.
Even careful writers sometimes allow this naughty Grammar Gremlin to encroach upon their messages. A pronoun must agree in number, person, and gender with its antecedent (the word for which the pronoun stands). Correct: Sometimes a person gives up on an exercise program because he or she doesn't have time for it. Correct: Sometimes people give up on exercise programs because they don't have time for them.

The general manager will introduce himself to the new employees on Tuesday, December 12th.
Don't let this troublesome Grammar Gremlin slip onto your page. When the day follows the month, use a numerical (  1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). Don't add  -st, -nd, or -th to the number. However, when they day precedes the month, you can write it in either a numerical ( 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.) or as a word ( first, second, third, fourth, etc.) Correct: The general manager will introduce himself to the new employees on Tuesday, December 12.

We need to schedule the conference room, write an agenda, and it must be sent to all employees.

The parallel structure in this sentence is off balance. Careful writers must use similar grammatical structures for similar ideas. Correct: We need to schedule the conference room, write an agenda, and send it to all employees.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another reminder: Avoid the use of "would have" in "if clauses" expressing the earlier of two past actions. Use the past perfect.

Wrong: If he would have worked harder, he would have made the honor roll.

Right: If he had worked harder, he would have made the honor roll.

Wrong: If I would have thought of it, I'd have called you.

--Warriner's Grammar: The Complete Course