Friday, September 17, 2010

If it ain't working, call it something else

I'm amused by the Obama Administration's push to rename "global warming" as "global climate disruption." Oh, that's easy to remember.

The administration hasn't had much luck on its climate legislation, so it thinks a new name might do the trick. It's like magazines that put themselves through a major redesign -- you can be pretty sure the magazine is in trouble. I can recall only one redesign of a publication that actually improved the look and actually made it easier to read, and that was done by my local weekly newspaper, The Ridgefield Press.

But I digress. Already people are making fun of the new name. "Are they going to change the name of weathermen to disruption analysts?" quipped GOP strategist Pete Snyder. I prefer "weather liars" myself.

This is the administration that brought us "man-caused disaster" and "overseas contingency operation." More recently it relabeled the "Bush tax cuts" as the "Obama middle-income tax cuts."

If you're not careful in this game you're likely to generate only cynicism. Do I sound cynical?

What other examples can you think of? One obvious one is labeling "pro-abortion" as "pro-choice." Watch for these in your reading.

No comments: